Saturday, January 16, 2010

One Bush at A Time

An altered version of a Dottie Rambo song from my childhood ("One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from you...") was sneaking through my thoughts as I started digging the front bed in earnest today, trying to beat out the rain. The bushes and grasses in the front bed have much healthier (larger, deeper, harder to dig) root structures than the ones in the back beds did. It will take me a long time to get this bed dug properly, but just getting the roots out will plow it up pretty well. And don't get me started on decorative grasses. I hope the numerous root nodules I saw on overgrown, exuberantly healthy looking plants ( the roots were packed several inches deep) indicate a healthy soil bacterial population. You know it is going to be a long dig when you raise the pick above your head, swing down with all your might, and THE PICK BOUNCES. This is not rocky soil. It is full of roots. No pictures of the work out front this year, but I'll talk about it. Must rest a bit and continue the indoor work now that the rain has started.

No comments: