Saturday, September 27, 2008

Still Plugging Along

Today was Saturday. That's farmer's market day for all the stuff I can't grow. I like buying direct from the farmer. I got extra green beans to freeze and some lady cream peas (related to black-eyed peas) to try. You can't leave them in the zipper bags in which the freshly-shelled peas come. They'll grow fungus. I dump them out in a single layer on cheesecloth to stay dry until I can cook them (hopefully tomorrow). I also got peaches (last week for those), apples, and pears. I like the orchard stand. They had a really good year this year. A late frost last year almost wiped them out, but this year the fruit was abundant. I really like walking up to a table and seeing an older man with white hair and calloused hands carefully laying out the fruits of his labor. I'll buy extra from those guys. You would, too. Today's tomato:

No comments: