Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You've Got What You Need


This is most of the area I have for my vegetable garden, as it looked in early April. I basically have a 20 by 10 ft patch of backyard (used as a dump in the 30s or 40s-pieces of construction debris and broken glass were buried in the soil) and a yard later (someone buried several glass marbles) plus 2 10-ft by 3-ft flower beds edged by brick. I dug 8 holly bushes out of the bed at the back of the picture last winter. At the back is a south-facing brick wall, but in Zone 7 that's not necessarily a good thing. Gets too hot too fast around here. I planted green beans next to it, figuring the plants would get big enough to shade the wall. Didn't work. One plant grew up a nearby tree and is doing well. The rest are badly heat stressed, even after the heat broke. I planted the limas differently and they are doing well. Better luck next year.
That's another thing I like about gardening. It appeals to the scientist in me, taking notes, looking at what works and what doesn't for THIS garden, which might be different from the one down the street. You can spend years studying it and trying new varieties, honing your skills, stretching your problem-solving abilities. It helps to keep the mind and body engaged.

No comments: