Thursday, April 9, 2009

Planting Tomatoes


Oh, rejoice with me! The tomato plants went in the ground yesterday, 2 per cage: 2 Sungold, 2 Arkansas Traveler, and 2 Black Japanese Trifiele. They look vigorous and good. I just read that the "Sungold" is a hybrid, though, and I planted collected seed, so they may not come true to type. Oh, well. We will see. The plants are vigorous, anyway. I may have to thin to one plant per cage if they get too big, but right now they look like they have plenty of room to grow. The cages have an area of about 32 square feet around them, with some borage plants toward the front (and some basil going in a few weeks from now. Must Start Seeds!!

2 comments:

Jane Ellis said...

Hi Mitzi,

Congrats on getting the tomatoes in the ground... its still too cold here in PA and I'm worried about a frosting.

Suggestion for supporting your plants, try the The Tomato Stake. I've been using for a few years now and its soooo easy compared to metal cages.

mitzi said...

Someone keeps leaving comments about stakes being easier than cages, and linking to a site that sells drilled metal poles with twisty-ties through them. Those poles would fall over easily (I have tried stakes alone and they FAIL) in the high plains winds and violent summer storms of my climate. My plants grow hugely and weigh many more pounds than a single stake, or even three triangulated stakes, can adequately support. Cages made from stiff fencing wire, anchored firmly in the clay subsoil by sturdy, thick wooden stakes as pictured, work amazingly better than any configuration of stakes I have tried, without twisty ties or cables or rope to cut off parts of the plant in high wind conditions.