Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Slugfest Update

6,098. That's how many slugs have come out of our tiny backyard in the past 6 weeks. 1,000 slugs per week, hand picked and drowned in soapy water by me! EEK!
Most are European three-banded garden slugs, great gray slugs, gray field slugs, and marsh slugs. They're all invasive species, so I feel no guilt about trying to eliminate them entirely, though that would be a truly impossible task without poison. I do not want to poison the animals out there who might see a bit of dying protein and think, "free lunch!", so I keep picking. This land originally had very few slugs, or earthworms. To see them now, that is really hard to believe. We've really changed things. Maybe some have changed for the better (earthworms are good for soil, especially for aerating our thick clay-based stuff), but some (like the proliferation of these nasty excrement-eating slugs) for the worse. I hope I can leave the backyard in better condition than I found it.

No comments: