Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Basil Aplenty


I like basil in soups and pasta sauce, but sometimes my plants produce so much, we may not be able to eat it all. If you want to start herb gardening, I would suggest starting with basil or mint if you like them. They grow easily, aren't too fussy about conditions, and produce big yields. Fresh basil (especially enough to make a pesto, if you can get pine nuts) is REALLY expensive, so it could easily repay the cost of a pot and some soil and seeds or a seedling. You can freeze basil or mint, or use them fresh. Advice is mixed on drying them, and I have never tried. I might try it in the attic this summer, but it gets so hot up there that the flavorful volatile oils of the basil might evaporate. A small batch as an experiment won't hurt. The picture is from last year on July 4, and the basil is in the front next to the tomato plants. Scary thing is, my tomato plants are almost that big now, from seed, in a different bed with more sun. Wow!

No comments: