Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gardening Means Never-Ending Learning

I told my husband at lunch that there are several grand-daddy long-legs (leiobonum vittatum) living in my green bean plants. They seem to occupy the same place every day under the leaves, so I try not to disturb them. The entomologists say they are arachnids, but not true spiders, and little is actually known about their ecology. They don't really have poisonous venom. You can read about them at 
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/daddy/daddy.htm#leio. He told me that I'm really getting to know my garden and its inhabitants. That is important, as I need to know who will get to eat what, who is harmful, and who is helpful. They think the leibonum eat soft-bodied insects (aphids and grubs maybe- in which case- have at 'em, boys). I sure hope they do.

No comments: