Saturday, June 6, 2009

La Belle Vivre Sans AC May End Soon

Today is most likely the last day in our area with highs below the upper 80s or lower 90s, and a low in the 60s. Those temperatures define my ability to cool the house effectively by "passive" means (opening windows at night, with window fans to encourage air flow) after heating it up by baking or canning, or doing much ironing. I'll be doing all of the above this afternoon and evening, plus running the old dishwasher to sterilize the jars. The kitchen will be HOT by nightfall.
I want to finish my niece's birthday gift so I can send it Monday, finish a pink outfit for me(same thread) I've had in unfinished condition since last year, and try my hand at making blackberry jelly (bought the berries today) and strawberry jam (from berries chopped, sugared, and frozen last week). That should make for a pretty full afternoon, considering that I have gardening and other duties as well. I want to make some cookies for my husband, too. It is difficult to pack a week of homemaking into a few days off on week-ends, especially when they are partial days. But when you know the Heat is coming, things must be done. Cannot bake, starting tomorrow, except in the bread machine. Oy!

No comments: