Friday, June 26, 2009

Identifying a Volunteer


This may be the leaf of an acorn squash! Look at the little squash under the leaf and to the right. If so, I have at least 2 of these vining plants growing out in the garden, from seeds I "composted" out back from store-bought squash. Freebies! If I can keep them alive past the borers and the heat, it will be good to eat our own squash this fall. I won't be able to save the seed from these, though- I have zucchini plants out there, and summer and winter squash can cross-pollinate. My yard is too small to separate them adequately, as they are pollinated by bees. With the borage out there, at least a few bees seem to be daily visitors, so I hope they keep coming, and the borage keeps blooming.
Correction: I think it may be a melon- it isn't keeping that "acorn" shape as of June 30.

No comments: