Sunday, January 4, 2009

Only Kind of Shopping I Like- Seeds

I was looking at instructions for growing broccoli and cauliflower, and realized that I need to get my seeds ASAP for the cool weather crops to start them indoors, if they're to go in the ground a month before the last average frost date of March 23. I use an operational last frost date for sensitive items of April 12, because last frosts in spring tend to vary pretty wildly, as does all our winter weather. Like this week- One day highs near 70 F, the next 61 and falling, the next day highs around 43. Our winters are roller-coasters of temperatures, sometimes with weeks of cloudy and rainy weather. When the sun shines, we are out in it like lizards trying to warm up.
Anyway, I'll be using the porch as a greenhouse before long. Work time coming soon! Must prepare.

No comments: