Monday, January 12, 2009

The Planning Continues

I like calendars and schedules for some things, like work. When am I expected to present data? What should I step through (as opposed to step IN ;)) by then? How will this work?
In trying to get maximal production from a small, partially-shaded space, in a heat-island part of the city with a long growing season (with a hot gap in the middle), similar questions arise. When can I expect tomatoes and corn? When will it get too hot for sugar snap peas? Some of these questions I can answer with my notebook from last year, approximately. For others, I like to consult online resources. The Internet is a PRICELESS resource for the beginning gardener. If you want to go organic, Rodale and Mother Earth News and tons of blogs are out there to advise you. For conventional stuff or organic, the state agricultural college and extension agencies will have useful publications. Neighboring states do, too. I found MP422.pdf from the University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff, which lists a month-by-month, play-by-play for the garden, from ordering seeds to planting outside- FOR MY EXACT FIRST and LAST FROST DATES!! WOOHOO! They list potential spring, summer, and fall/winter crops. There is something for every month. Good stuff.
So if you're a beginner, or in a new area and unfamiliar with local climate, check out the state agricultural college website and those of neighboring states. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: