Monday, February 23, 2009

The Barren Trees Are Alive With Birds


A few of the trees are starting to wake up due to last week's warm spell, but most are still leafless. The flock of robins on which I commented a few days ago has not vanished to Parts North quite yet- they're just stripping berries in a different part of the neighborhood. I was amazed to go outside and hear the birds this morning- spring is coming, even if the weather is cold. The birds are singing louder and longer, and getting bolder as well, sitting in trees or on wires to watch me put out birdseed. I talked to a mockingbird this afternoon. It was alerting me to the presence of Spot, and I told him/her that Spot was duly noted. I like how mockingbirds seem to curse at cats. When young are fledging, the adults will actively attack (they dive bomb for the eyes, from above and behind) any cat that comes out from under a roof. Most cats just find a sheltered area and wait it out. This is my wild kingdom at work.

No comments: