Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Teacher From Another Planet

No, I'm not rereading Madeleine L'engle's Wrinkle in Time series, though I think it is awesome, awesome (and CLEAN) adolescent science fiction. She is a Writer. Like Tolkien for teens. Not kidding. 
I'm helping out with a teacher-training grant at work, and finding out that I was trained on a Different Planet. A planet where teachers are expected to know their subject matter (or know how to learn the new stuff before next fall without any hand-holding-it's called a LIBRARY), and expected to care enough to actively pursue learning the art of good pedagogy. Research- based, proven methods for teaching students are not rocket science and are within the ability of just about everyone, but a lot of modern school systems seem to be set up to promote the status quo and discourage real excellence. Teachers spend too much time putting out disciplinary and administrative fires to tend the forest (i.e. the kids. Do the workbook pages while I fill out these reports.). The really excellent teacher scares people because s/he works too hard, and cares too much.
I obsess over things. Then it was teaching and eating right. Now it is research, eating right, and gardening (which fits into the overall food theme). I do love the act of teaching itself, though, with a passion. Helping someone learn something new is phenomenal. I hope to do it again, soon.

No comments: