Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bugs and Slugs


My chard is holy, and I do not mean sanctified. My carrots aren't able to get very big before something eats their greens to nubs. It is not out there when I look for slugs at night, nor when I survey for cabbage worms in the morning. Some carrots have come back and appear to be growing, though, so all may not be lost. I've hand- captured 7,104 slugs in the past 7 weeks in the backyard. It's getting a bit wearying in combination with long workdays.
Something has even snapped off 2 corn plants (so far) about a centimeter above the ground! I'm sad that my losses will be higher this year, but grimly determined to grow what can be grown back there. It is too important to keep the knowledge alive, and to extend my knowledge as much as possible, to let a few (or even 7,104) competitors get me.

No comments: