Friday, May 8, 2009

Overuse Injuries and Healing


I'm prone to overuse injuries due to my hypermobility. I injured both hands a few days ago at work, reactivating the tenosynovitis in one thumb joint and messing up the wrist of the other hand enough to cause numbness and intermittent pain. I had decided to push a few too many things through a syringe filter. Doc fixed the wrist with a "crunch" this evening, and advised ice in addition to the rest and night wrapping (in neutral position with the thumb at the side of the hand- get advice on this from a physical therapist or chiropractor or orthopedist) I was already doing. It was amazing to feel the numbness leave immediately, and all fingers (and thumb) reporting for duty without pain. If you find a good chiropractor, KEEP THE NUMBER!! I highly recommend Cole Pain Therapy Group in Memphis. They do physical therapy as well as chiropractic manipulations, they don't go neck-popping crazy on you, and they help you heal. Which, if you've had conventional doctors tell you to go away until the damage is done, then come back when they can give you drugs and surgery (a rheumatologist had the nerve to tell me that when I was a TEENAGER), is a wonderful, wonderful blessing. Hope comes in many forms, and it's a rare find when it comes with a white coat.

No comments: