Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Favorite View of the Garden


I love a garden first thing in the morning, as the sun rises over the fence line and the plants glow with new light. The dew decorates the glowing plants with temporary diamond orbs, and the heat of the day has not wilted anything yet.
I hardly ever get to enjoy this state; I rejoice in the moment between feeding the birds and loading my backpack into the car for work. I wish I could linger, because the plants and bugs and birds would teach me things the science practiced at work will never discover, about the glory of God, His joy in creation, His love for detail in even the tiniest and most despised things (like green jeweled spiders), and His loving provision for us. It is amazing that He allows our work to matter in this process, but it does. If we do not plant, our harvest will be slim and wild-crafted, requiring many acres. If we tend our gardens well, that space will provide for an exploding diversity of nature and for many of us, bountifully. Those who say there are too many people in this world do not understand that God loves people, and would gladly show us how to accommodate ourselves and all the other creatures we value if we just asked, instead of ignoring Him and implying that others are not as worthy as we to exist. The "technology" is there already, if we just ask and look. It will be work (we were created to tend a Garden, remember?), but we can do it- without killing our offspring before they are born or forcing others into sterility. We can participate with Him in good stewardship. Just ask.

1 comment:

rob said...

Thanks Mitzi for stopping by earlier today and leaving your insightful comment. I appreciated every word.

Well done on the post as well, especially with regard to the 'over-population' statement. Sometimes I feel like I am talking to the wall when I echo your sentiments. The world isn't over-populated it is under-utilized.

Thanks again for stopping by.