Monday, May 11, 2009

Secret Evil In The Heart Hurts


I didn't see it coming. Under cover of night, a tiny slug (tiny white lies do no harm, right?) ate its way from underneath into the heart of this button on a courageous cauliflower plant. It had already been eaten to the ground by the slugs once, and had grown back to be the first plant to produce. Yes, it was a button, but it was cauliflower! 
But the slug 
did its damage under cover of night and the shelter of the covering cauliflower leaves. I could not find it until last night, when it finally nibbled away part of the leafy cover to reveal itself and its ruinous 
damage. According to what I have read, cauliflower does not produce secondary heads like broccoli. This head will be all for this plant. I should also try again in the fall for better results. For now I will leave the plant alone to see what it will do. Maybe it can make something good of the situation. We will see. It illustrates how harmful harboring vileness in our hearts can be. Our society is now as full of vileness as my backyard is of slugs (I've caught more than 7300 now). Hard to keep it out, but pray hard! And keep that warm soapy Bible-verse water ready to drown what does get through.

No comments: