Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Alien From a Small Planet Far, Far Away


That's how I feel sometimes. My co-workers talk about wives who love to shop, wear jewelry, go to Cancun with girlfriends for a prolonged salon session, etc. I like to garden and cook. I have (and wear) 20-year-old clothing. I don't wear makeup, and a wedding band is my only jewelry worn regularly. I have working hands complete with big knuckles and rough fingers that snag silk. Digging and harvesting and shelling beans (above) does that. Decorating those work-roughened hands would contradict their purpose. I find my friends among other women like myself. Few and far between. The quiet band who roll up their (well-worn) sleeves and get the job done. It's fun to walk by a neighborhood yard and see a kindred spirit, putting in just a few MORE bulbs, or picking the last tomatoes in the twilight. God bless the workers out there tonight.

No comments: