Sunday, November 23, 2008

Digging In


I've started putting the garden to rest. The main bed before cleaning is shown above. Warning: after Malabar spinach freezes, it exudes purple juice all over things and turns rather mushy. The juice comes off pretty easily if you wash the fence (and your hands) fast. I spread my compost today, and buried the main bed under a thick layer of leaves. The other beds will wait until later in the week. I found a LOT of green tomatoes out there, and dug them in with the compost in the main bed today. I wound up not digging in the vines- I would need a chipper to chop them up finely first. They filled both my composting containers, but they are out of the way for now. Here they are before stuffing into the cans. No "after" shots yet- it got dark.

No comments: