Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Beautiful Day To Get Eaten Alive


Today we went for a hike in Shelby-Meeman state park after a picnic lunch, after church. Memphis has a LOT of swampland, which makes for interesting scenery in dry weather, but also hordes of mosquitoes! I tied my kerchief over my ears to keep the little buzzers from getting too friendly. Husband did not bring a hat, and he has a buzz cut hairstyle, so he got bit frequently. We had to keep moving, and could not enjoy the scenery as much as I would have liked. The woods were still pretty green for November, despite the frosts last week. We like to hike at this time of year, to commemorate our engagement 8 years ago. 8 years? It seems like yesterday he proposed by putting my ring in a box at the bottom of my sack lunch, at Buzzard's Roost at Fall Creek Falls. I thought it was a box of raisins. I was very happy to find a ring instead. Fall Creek Falls does not have nearly as many mosquitoes, but it would take us all day to drive there now. So we make do with what we have. It is enough.

No comments: