Sunday, November 9, 2008

Home Cooking

I cook a lot. Husband prepares oatmeal on weekdays (kindly) for breakfast, but except for a few week-end meals, I cook everything else. Today we came home from church to some Farmer's market (frozen and thawed) pork chops sauteed and braised with onions and apples, green beans (from the backyard), fresh-sliced tomatoes (ditto), and corn (from freezer, from grocery store). The pork chops were fabulous, and I credit that to the guy selling them from a freezer in the back of his truck. He seemed really proud of them. I buy frozen veggies in the winter, because they are frozen at the height of freshness, so nutrients are preserved. Many times they're better than the veggies you buy "fresh" which have been slowly decaying on a water-sprinkled shelf for a few weeks.
Tonight we had spinach-mushroom-black bean enchiladas (how to make THAT low sodium? Cook your own beans. Use Frog Ranch salsa (low sodium and really GOOD). Use low-sodium cheeses and wraps. It works. We also had tomato-basil soup with corn (yes, my tomatoes and basil). Good stuff. No pics tonight- I do not have good luck uploading on Sunday nights.

No comments: