Sunday, July 19, 2009

Do Not Worry


If you want something to worry about, the Internet is a great place to look. H1N1, E.Coli, economic policy, lots of things. If you're worried about Bugs from Farm Animals, the following story from my childhood may help you calm your paranoia:
When I was a toddler (that's me in the picture), I ate some dirt. We lived on my grandparents' dying farm, complete with cows, chickens, dogs, rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, possums, skunks, deer, birds, snakes, and lots of other critters. Pigs were there before I was born. We had a smokehouse out back. Mom called our pediatrician. He was an elderly man, shaky, but expert in the ways of small humans. "She ate some dirt! Will she be O.K.? What should I do?"
"Don't worry about it. If you put dirt in her bottle and let it sit all day, then gave her the bottle, it would make her sick. But eating dirt will not hurt her."
On a farm, with animals. So relax. Wash your veggies in a dilute bleach solution of you have doubts. Wash your hands. Maintain basic hygiene when cooking. And leave the worrying for someone else to do.

No comments: