Thursday, July 23, 2009

Harvesting Sunflower Seeds and Fretting

Today I decided that several sunflower heads looked dried out and gross, so I took them inside. They had little sunflower seeds in them! Lots of little seeds from the small ones, and one large head of only slightly-smaller-than -normal ones from a volunteer plant near the bird feeder. Cool.
I've been fretting lately about the speed at which things are being pushed in Washington. They're spending too much too fast, in a continuation of the pattern that got us in a mess last year. I think there should be a constitutional amendment (at every level of government) that "NO LAW (regulation, etc.) shall be passed until every legislator voting on it has read it in its entirety in its final form, and said law has been published in a public forum available to all concerned citizens (Internet, newspaper, chiseled on stones in the public square, whatever) for a minimum of 10 (ten) days before the vote for every 100 pages of the law. Any legislator changing said law after the vote without consent of the governed will be expelled immediately, forfeiting all benefits of office, and demoted to the lowest-paying public position (janitor, dog catcher, whatever) in his or her voting district. They'd have to inform us of what they were doing, and stick to it. Maybe I'm too hard on them, but I get the feeling their imposed tax burden is going to be tough on all of us in years to come. Aargh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm working on my sunflower seeds as well.

I'm also concerned about the rush to overhaul health care. Especially when the President, the VP all past and current members of Congress and all federal workers are specifically exempt from the effect of this bill. This fact makes the whole thing look suspect.