Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Spot is Dead


I took food outside for the cats and birds this morning as usual, put down the cat food, and was surprised that Spot did not run up to me. I turned to see a white heap of fur under the tree- Spot was dead. Something ripped her throat from below.  She died quickly, as she did not have time to crawl under a bush to die. I screamed, and my husband told me to go inside. He buried the body as I cried. He needed my car today, so he drove me to work. That was good, as I was in no shape to drive.
Spot was a good cat, except for getting white hair and muddy paw prints on newly-washed cars. She was very quiet, as she had some kind of damage to her vocal cords and could not "meow" normally. Most of the time she said a very whispery "Ack" instead of "meow". She probably could not scream for help. I want to get the slingshot repaired and get some steel balls, as whatever killed her will probably return. Whatever hurt Jorge (and he has been very skittish, coming under cover of darkness and no longer allowing me to pet him ever since) probably killed her. I can't shoot it with a gun in this neighborhood, but hopefully I can hurt it enough to keep it away.

No comments: