Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Ancestors Didn't Need No Stinkin' Gym


This is my paternal grandmother's father (lower right) with his brothers. I'm beginning to realize, as we have an older house and I garden and can and hang laundry and hand-scrub floors, that the hands-on life requires a LOT more sheer physical effort than swiping the vacuum over the floor and eating take-out. You don't need a gym when you're hauling baskets of laundry up 2 flights of stairs, scrubbing floors, processing tomatoes and peaches, and clearing some garden beds for fall plantings. That's me this week-end. Barefoot (except for outside) and hausfrauing. If you asked my female ancestors if they did 3 hours of vigorous exercise a week, they would probably have told you they did more than that every day!  Got to get to work.

No comments: