Friday, July 10, 2009

Sometimes You Love Unpopular Things

Yesterday, when I told some of my committee members that I miss the classroom, some of them were very surprised. They seemed to think I would not like teaching at the college level. They find it boring, something they have to do. They'd rather be in the lab or in their offices.
I am a Teacher. It is part of who I am. I started teaching in Vacation Bible School with pre-schoolers when I was 12. Never looked back. Wanted to teach. I still do, but in an environment where I will be physically safe, and where I can contribute, even if my joint condition becomes severely disabling.
I love helping people learn new things. It is fun, even if you have spoken the words 30 times previously today, to help out one more time with that last class. To see it "click" for someone who did not "get it" before- that is an awesome responsibility for me and a joy, especially in a church class. 
I love the Bible and I love teaching, too, so combining the two is great. I hope to make money teaching science, maybe even basic biology. I hope someday to settle in a church and help make lives again teaching the Word to children, which is beautiful as it molds their moral development and opens their hearts to God. Someday.

No comments: