Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween in the Kingdom

I haven't seen the black cats tonight, but I'm sure they're avoiding the commotion. A neighbor left the porch light on and house decorated, so LOTS of kids have stopped there to find no-one home. We are lit up, but not in a line of lit-up homes, so we get passed by a lot. We just got "missed" by a whole HORDE of what appeared to be middle-to-high-school kids, so it is just as well. Most of them were not even wearing costumes. It is O.K.- I didn't buy huge loads of candy this year, anyway. It was too expensive. There are some smaller groups, usually a few quiet teen girls with small children you know to be their own, that I would really rather offer GROCERIES rather than chocolate bars and fruit-flavored candy. But they want the candy, and we give it, so they get to be the kids they are again, for a night.
I wore my Spanish outfit today to work. It got a few compliments and a lot of quizzical looks. I like it, and it is comfortable and functional. I like dress up days- you get to be a kid, again, for a little while. Letting your inner child out to play once in a while is important. I remember one of my best teachers always seemed to have a bit of the inquisitive little boy in him, even though he had 5 daughters and was approaching retirement. You could see it when he took apart capacitors in front of the class, or he watched a sunrise through the window during an early-morning review session. I hope you (and all the little people you know) enjoy the evening. Little blessings mean a lot.

No comments: