Friday, October 3, 2008

Mild Asthma as a Gift from God

I was diagnosed with mild asthma as an adult. As a child, I knew I coughed uncontrollably if someone was smoking in the car with me. The spell usually frightened them badly enough to put out the cigarette and open all the windows so I could breathe. I also knew I was last in the school races because I lost my breath easily. But nobody told me it was asthma until I had a real, stop-breathing asthma attack as an adult due to walking into a room with a high concentration of perfume (a spilled bottle). I remained conscious, but it was really scary not to be able to tell anyone what was wrong until I got into some fresh air and started coughing.
The doctor was surprised to find no allergies to the usual pet dander- a slight one to dust and mold, but he said everyone has that allergy. The smoke and perfumes that cause me to react were not testable at the time. Potentially cancer-causing chemicals cannot be injected. Real roses are no problem, but cheap floral scents are. Weird.
Why would I say this is a gift from God? Think about it- you're about to send your child off to college. What if you knew she could not smoke pot, and she could not walk into a bar or a club full of smokers? How much trouble would an allergy like that help her to avoid? I avoided a LOT of trouble. There was smoking in the dorms, so even my choice of friends was affected (do they respect me enough to let me breathe?). It was God's way of putting a protective hedge around me, and with all the papers I read connecting second-hand smoking to health-related issues, I'm glad God restricts my breathing around it. He knows what is good for us.

No comments: