Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Friend Jorge


About a year ago I saw a pair of golden eyes peering at me from the darkness under the holly bushes when I reached for the garden hose. He acted wild. He would not come near or speak to me. He ran if I came within feet of him. He liked cat food, though, and was willing to be fed if I kept my distance. Tonight he rubbed his head against my denim-jeaned leg and closed his eyes with pleasure as I scratched behind his ears.
Cats are a lot like people- you have to earn their trust, especially if they've been hurt before. These cats act abandoned, which would leave them with trust issues. I like trying to befriend them.
Animal rescue people call me a "magnet"- I attract animals, just like my father and paternal grandmother. There is at least one dog in almost every picture I have of her. I don't want a dog unless I can give it the acreage to live a dog's life- sniff, hunt, protect sheep, etc. A cat's life can be lived in a small backyard. Plenty of food, water, shelter, and the occasional prey to keep one svelte. Speaking of water- here is Jorge drinking from his preferred water source: a water bucket I use for my plants.

No comments: