Friday, October 24, 2008

More People Should Do This

My husband and I started "pedestrian dating" recently, after gas prices shot up. I had been oblivious to the whole thing until I saw 70s-era LINES at local gas stations just before Hurricane Gustav. I got home with the groceries and said "I don't want to give those money-grubbing crooks another dime". My husband suggested walking, and another fun date-night activity was born. There are several locally-owned restaurants within walking distance of the house (2 just down the street), so this is fun. And we don't have to drive across town and back in traffic for it. We sometimes get dessert. We'll walk it off if we go to the pizza place. We enjoy the walk together, looking at the unique houses in the neighborhood. We don't dress up or go anywhere fancy- we can split a 10-inch (good- from a local shop) pizza for less than $10 if we both drink water. At most we spend less than $30. And no gas money, no downtown parking, fewer hassles. We may not do it as the weather gets colder (or we may stick to the corner cafe), but I sure have liked it so far.

No comments: