Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Checking Off Goals

I set certain goals at the beginning of the year for gardening and food preservation, and it looks like I'll be reaching those. I was hoping to learn to use the new pressure canner my husband gave me for Christmas, and so far I have used it for green beans and diced tomatoes. I was hoping to learn about making jams, jellies, and preserves, and that is going well, too (strawberry, peach, and blackberry so far). I was hoping to learn how to dry herbs, and at least for thyme, oregano, and rosemary, it is very easy when the humidity is low. Just strip the leaves off the branches and leave them on racks in a well-ventilated room (which will smell fabulous at first) for a few days. Then place in an airtight container after the leaves are crunchy. I'm trying basil next, though it is more succulent, so I'll try it in the attic instead of the dining room, covered with cheesecloth to keep off the dust. 
We're also trying seed saving, with romaine lettuce, radishes, basil (it worked last year), tomatoes(ditto), dill, and corn. I'll also save seeds of the other herbs if they bloom and go to seed. Constant learning is a wonderful thing!

No comments: