Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Seed Saving: Lettuce and Radishes


This is a picture from June showing the bed with the lettuces and radishes. I had a Romaine lettuce plant that took weeks after the weather started to heat up to bolt, so I decided to save the seeds. It was planted in the ground in March, but the seed heads were mature yesterday. They had little, feathery parachutes on them to carry them away in the wind, like little dandelion seeds, but smaller. I pulled the dead-looking plant before all of the seeds scattered and saved what I could.
The radishes are a different story. I left them outside because they were bolting and growing a lot of leaves, but somehow the slugs preferred their leaves to the other tender plants out there. I decided to let them go to seed, as the little white and purple flowers were pretty, and see what would happen. Green, pepper-like pods formed. I have harvested some to save the seeds, while others got away. Hopefully they will germinate this fall.

No comments: