Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We Have Germination! (and slugs)

Yesterday as I went to water the pots of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage started Saturday, I noticed something: new growth already in all 3 sets! It took weeks back in the winter in the basement for them to germinate! Guess warm soil is important, even for cool-weather crops to germinate. I put the pots in the garage yesterday evening as a storm was approaching, and I did not want them flooded. I went in this morning to find one pot denuded of cabbage seedlings- and a slug therein! I thought moving them to the garage would help avoid that. The slug, sensing the rain coming, was probably on or in the pot already, and I did not see it in the dim evening light. I replanted the pot. I'll know to look next time. If it does not rain more tonight, I may set out the beer traps.

No comments: