Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Grace of God and the Gift of Medication

Got me through this day. I had the busiest day at work ever, with two time-course experiments and a setup for a dose response experiment(we do those a lot- in cell culture with cell lines from adult tissues, so nobody and no thing is harmed). With the horrid way I felt yesterday (non-stop sneezing, a full box of tissues gone, energy gone and dragging), there was no way I could have gotten through today on my own strength. Enter the Grace of God and the gift of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. I could breathe, and I thanked God all afternoon for the privilege, and the amazing way my feet kept moving. I was working with my boss, who showed me that many of the lab practices I had been shown by others (some even written in the protocols) were wrong. 
Isn't that just the Christian life in a nutshell? You work for a year, sometimes a lifetime, and find out you've been doing it all wrong! You can dig in and defend yourself, or you can admit the problems and your fault in them, face the music, and enjoy the relief of a chance to do it again. You may fail another round, and get to repent even more deeply, or you may finally get a bit of the prize ahead. But the humiliation comes first. That is important.

No comments: