Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Man the Barricades!


I found another casualty out there this morning- an oak leaf lettuce seedling (supposedly not as attractive to slugs as other lettuces) mercilessly licked to a wilted nub. A trail of slime led through a gap in the eggshells, away from the scene of the crime. A dastardly deed, done under the cover of darkness. I decided to get out the Big Guns.
Not the pesticides- there aren't any except the baits, and poisoned slugs will poison birds and mammals as well. I'd like to avoid that, so I read up on Alternative Mulching Materials. Pine cones and prickly seed pods looked good, and were readily available on sidewalks around the neighborhood. I scavenged, then returned to build little walls around all the kinds of plants attacked so far, and scattered seed pods in the other beds for good measure. Hope they do some good.

No comments: