Friday, March 13, 2009

Herbs


I am going to try to grow more herbs this year. I had success last year with basil (still lots of it in the freezer) and rosemary, and some oregano volunteered from the year before. This year I'm adding borage.  It is pictured germinating here. If you look closely, you can see the hairs on the leaves. It is supposed to have cucumber-tasting edible blue flowers, and be good for tomatoes, and be attractive to bees while repelling hornworms and cabbage worms. Sounds like a winner to me. I'm also planting thyme as a front border (and oregano, if it comes up, and some mint, with a buried pot around the roots) in my amaranth-sunflower-red okra bed. I want it to be so decorative that people do not recognize it readily as a food garden. We shall see. Gardening is a fun experiment.

No comments: