Friday, March 20, 2009

Time to Help a Neighbor

As I was out hunting slugs this evening (I had caught 40 to that point- eventually caught 145!), I heard my neighbor arrive home, and comment over her phone about the difficulty she was having unloading her trunk. We talked, and I helped her unload some sale bags of mulch from the "local" big box store. She did not help me hunt slugs, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to join that fun, crouching in the dirt with a flashlight picking up slimy gastropods.
It's that time of year, when the trees bloom, the grass greens, the birds nest, and everyone mulches and plants and waters in the new growth. Lend a hand, and the whole neighborhood will be better for it. Helpfulness and tidiness of yard tend to be contagious. Even if "property values" have declined in your area, keeping things neat, clean, and attractive-looking will help you continue to value your property for what it is- a shelter from the storm, a warm nook in the cold, a shady spot in the heat, and a place to call home for a while. 

No comments: