Monday, March 30, 2009

Spreading Fertilizer and Planting Borage


I'm trying to pre-empt the cabbage worm invasion by planting borage in the broccoli/cauliflower plot and inspecting the leaves for eggs periodically. We'll see how it works.
I'm also preparing the bed for the Big Corn Planting, April 11. Lots of "organic" fertilizer and some Miracle-Gro Garden Soil going in (needs some improvement, being a thin layer of topsoil over solid clay, with rocks and debris from 80 years of continuous habitation). I even found several child's marbles in the bed when I dug it last year and the year before. Found another marble this year. I'm going to dig it soft, dig in the amendments, and hope the corn grows high. Incorporating the stalks and the bean vines I hope to interplant with them should go a long way toward alleviating the thin-soil problem- just in time to revert it to lawn so we can sell the house when I graduate. C'est la vie.

No comments: