Saturday, December 20, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas

5 days and counting. The presents are almost ready. I did have to go out looking for some simple, small, lidded empty glass containers today. It seems to be difficult to find simple things like that these days. You can find plenty of cheap plastic bric-a-brac. Useless items with Hannah Montana on them. Everything made in China, cheap, and tawdry. I finally found some containers that would do, with a sugar-chunk-and cinnamon mix in them at a grocery store. Cleaned them up and they'll be fine. But even they were from China. I always have trouble shopping for non-food items, because I usually know exactly what I want, and i will buy only that item. Stores are built for impulse purchase of junk these days.
I like things made locally, if I can get them. Things I can make myself are good, too. But you usually need a few simple things to use to make those gifts. My husband says I ought to open a "Books and Grub" store. It would specialize in books about needed skills, and beautiful books that encourage or edify. The food would be healthy, except of course for the traditional southern Sweet Tea in summer. It would also be a place to find the pliers, baling wire, duct tape, WD-40, good strong thread, and sturdy work clothes I seem to have such difficulty finding sometimes. We can all dream.

No comments: