Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tomatoes-Hybrid or Heirloom?

This is the garden in late June, 2008.
I've planted both kinds of tomatoes, and I have to say that Arkansas Traveler worked out a LOT better than the Big-box-store varieties in my yard. Very little cracking, where the hybrids had deep cracks. Of course there are caveats- I corrected the soil pH in the meantime, and got better at watering, and used tomato cages instead of stakes. But the Travelers were tremendously prolific as well. 
I'm going to try to plan everything around open-pollinated or heirloom varieties this year, and try saving seeds. I can't save corn, because they say you need to have at least 50 plants to do that for cross-pollination purposes, and I simply do not have that much sunny space back there. I'm going to try a 10x5 3 sisters planting, a 5x5 tomato patch, and greens in whatever is left of the main bed, followed by sweet potatoes. The back bed will contain herbs at the front and a few sunflowers, red okra, and amaranth at the back. I'm going for a decorative edible effect.
The side bed near the neighbors will contain green beans along the fence (we eat an astonishing amount of green beans every year, and I can share them with the neighbor, who puts up with the vines climbing into her yard for more sun), and other shade-tolerant edibles (radishes and greens did well there last year) across the front.

No comments: