Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Profit Part of Yesterday's Quote

I thought I had read Gardening for the South before, but I'm noticing now as I reread that it is a very comprehensive manual, with charts about saving seeds (how long can you keep them? Can you plant last year's and expect good germination?) that agree pretty closely with modern ones. He does advise using a mixture of slaked lime and SALT on your soil, which moderns would avoid, but a lot of his stuff is quite interesting. He recommends the same manures, the same crop rotations, and some of the same cover crops as later writers. Here's the "profit" part of yesterday's quote:
"The product was as follows on one and one-fourth acres of land: 1100 head lettuce, large; 1400 heads cabbage, large; 700 bunches radishes; 250 bunches asparagus; 300 bunches rhubarb;14 bushel pods, marrowfat peas; 40 bushels beans; sweet corn, 3 plantings, 419 dozen;  ...; celery, 500 heads- all worth 621 dollars in the Utica market, but supplied 130 persons all they could consume. Only one man was required to do all the necessary labor."
That's what I call intensive planting. I will look again at his fertilizing plan, definitely. Wow! The ... includes a LOT of other produce I did not want to type out. Happy New Year, and may your garden grow as well as the one Mr. White described in 1857. Peace to all who truly want it.

No comments: