Monday, December 8, 2008

Refiner's Fire


Well, I think I reactivated my hip bursitis Saturday moving those leaves. Lifting the wheelbarrow over my head to get it out of and back into the garage without moving the cars might have something to do with it. The thing is barely light enough for me to lift. Anyway, I can only sit for short periods again. Back to the doc to make sure I didn't do anything worse tomorrow. It isn't nearly as bad as it could be. I can sleep and walk comfortably.
My joints are very sensitive to injury. I have loose ligaments due to a mild connective tissue disorder- not Marfan's, a milder one called hypermobility syndrome. Inherited from Mom, who is 5 ft 2 in tall. I'm constantly learning where the line is between "good exertion" and "damage" (a very fine line sometimes). A lot of people don't think God has a hand in the "bad" things that happen to us, but I think he knew my genetics (and what a hard-headed work ethic ran in the family) before I was born. He knew I would develop the beginning symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in 2004 when I returned to school, and would have to learn humility from accepting modifications (I type tests and my notes in class- writing hurts more than typing b/c the base joint of my thumb bends the wrong way sometimes when I write fast, concentrating on something). The hip pain is teaching me to keep moving- don't sit down for long. Don't give up. Live more mindfully, more slowly, but keep going. We learn obedience from what we suffer (Hebrews 5:8).

No comments: