Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Gift EVERYONE seems to enjoy

I never knew apple butter would be so popular. I took it to work, and gingerly asked each of my prospective recipients if they liked it- the Americans of European Ancestry responded with a "Yes!" and a look very similar to the one my brother's one-year-old daughter gave him last Thanksgiving when he was eating pecan pie in front of her. It would take an armless man with a heart of stone to resist that look. When I handed it to them, their grip on the jar was firm, the thanks genuine. "You made this? Yourself?"
I had to explain what apple butter is (slow cooked apples strained and mixed with sugar and cinnamon, cloves, and allspice) to the Indians (from India), but they were pleased with it, too. Vegetarian, no offensive animal products, all natural. Works for everyone except diabetics, and you might find a way to make it with Splenda or agave nectar or something. Homemade means you took time for someone, and people appreciate that.

No comments: